Friday, September 28, 2007

Heartbreaking News

I can honestly say that it was no coincidence that we heard the news on Sept. 6th. My husband and I went in to check on little Rachel and that's when the doctor tracked us down. What we had feared had just happened. "Rachel has a spot on her brain. This is what is likely causing the seizures. It is a very small spot. We are not sure if it is a calcium deposit or a bleed on her brain. If it is a bleed, then it will be reabsorbed and will eventually go away. If it is a calcium deposit, then it will stay there. It is too far in her brain to remove. We will wait a few weeks and do another CT scan to see if it shrinks or disapears." the doctors tells us all this at once and our brains are swirling. He took us to see the scanned image of our baby's troubles. That image still haunts me, I must admit. Right away I began to pray for Rachel knowing this was going to be a battle, not just in her little body, but also in her parents minds. We needed Jesus then more than ever. He is faithful as God's Word reminds us. We had to trust him. Just after I prayed I heard my husband ask, "Could it be cancer?" Why didn't I think of that, I wondered. Right then my heart sunk even more. But sure as God is faithful, the doctor assured us that he was almost 100% positive this was not cancerous. Praise be to God again and again. We looked over Rachel one more time then we turned and walked out of the NICU. Both of us had held our composure until we rounding the corner of the elevator. One look at my husband was all it took to break me. We quietly walked back to my hospital room and I knew we had to talk. Just when were about to really break down, God sent us a much needed diversion. A precious friend from church came in at a time we needed one the most. I know Kristy has no idea how much she was there for us that day. I pray God bless her bundantly and I praise Him for sending her to us at exactly the right moment. She encouraged us more than she will ever know. After she left God reminded me of something that happened one year ago to the day. On Sept. 6th the prior year one of my dearest friends found out the news that she had cancer. Right then I remembered all of Jennifer's struggles and all the things God did in her life. At that moment God showed me that I could trust him with my baby...no matter the outcome. If he could do miracles for Jennifer, then he could do miracles for Rahcel as well. In the midst of turmoil my heart was lifted and God carried me...I praise God for friends He sends our way. How else would one make it through a crisis?

3 comments:

Vicki said...

My heart is so moved by your post and I'm praying for your family. You are so right, God can be trusted. He's been so faithful to me.

Sending warmest hugs & blessings,
Vicki

Anonymous said...

What a great testimony about God's faithfulness. I praise Him that Rachel is home and doing well. I know few things for certain in this life but I KNOW that God can be trusted and I know He will do great things for your family! I love you!

Jen

Susanne said...

Donna,
As I read your words today my heart swells with emotion. I recall making the exact same correlation...last year Jennifer, this year Rachel...but you are SO RIGHT!! GOD IS FAITHFUL AND HE STILL WORKS MIRACLES. I keep thinking about the verse that says if we have the faith of a mustardseed we can move mountains. My sister, I know that your faith is MUCH LARGER than a mustard seed, and I KNOW that if it could move a mountain, it can definitely move a "small spot" on a baby's brain! I LOVE YOU and I am SO ENCOURAGED AND INSPIRED by your FAITH AND ENDURANCE through this trying time!